Friday Nov. 1st: OpenGIS Workshop
This collection of standards is treated today:
netCDF exercise for Delft software days OpenGIS workshop - 1 nov 2013
WMS/KML exercise for Delft software days OpenGIS workshop - 1 nov 2013
- WMS manual: https://publicwiki.deltares.nl/display/OET/WMS+primer
- WMS into Google Earth manual: http://publicwiki.deltares.nl/display/OET/WMs+in+Google+Earth
- and here are a few urls to exercise with. These are the so called getcapabilities which always
append request=GetCapabilities&service=WMS to the base url until the ?-mark.
- Aerial images Minnesota
- World bathymetry maps:
- Numerical model in netCDF-CF rendered straight into WMS. These examples include time as dimension:
Monday Nov. 4th: Open Source Pre- and Postprocessing Workshops
More info on Deltares open source website
May 30th an OpenEarth data sprintsession for Matlab, python, R is organized at request for WaLTER. We will show how to work in DatTube mode with data from the web:
- PostgreSQL with PostGIS for relational data (ecological data and in situ physical data)
- netCDF-CF-OPeNDAP for grid data. Deltares and NIOZ produce 200m resolution data (images below) for the (Western) Wadden Sea in the PACE project. This yields about 1TB of data, which you can only work with in web-based mode, it is too much to copy.
We start with a lunch lecture first, and then proceed with a hands-on afternoon
how to extract a relevant subset of the data deluge with Matlab, python and R scripts.
- when: Thursday May 30th, 12:00 lunch lecture with sprint session afterwards until 16:00.
- where: NIOZ, Texel. route: www.nioz.nl
- Sign-up: gerben.deboer<at>deltares.nl
- !! Bring your own laptop with your own Matlab/Python/R!!
A new NetCDF file with the JARKUS transects up to 2012 is now available via http://opendap.deltares.nl/thredds/catalog/opendap/rijkswaterstaat/jarkus/profiles/catalog.html
A copy as well as previous releases can be found at http://dtvirt5.deltares.nl:8080/thredds/dodsC/opendap/rijkswaterstaat/jarkus/profiles/catalog.html
For more info, see http://publicwiki.deltares.nl/display/OET/Dataset+documentation+JarKus
March 13th we organize the next free OpenEarth sprintsession for a mixture of scientists/engineers (matlab, python and R) and policymakers (google earth).
The special topic of this session will be the mind-blowing vaklodingen dataset. Since 1927 Rijkswaterstaat has compiled bathymetry data of the entire Dutch foreshore up to 20 m depth, as well as the entire Wadden Zee and Zeeuwse Delta. The data are available at an amazing 20m resolution, with updates about every 8 year.
We made this data available via OPeNDAP (web-enabled netCDF) for ready access in Matlab, python and R. We provide tutorials and functions to query this enormous dataset on the fly via the web.
Also all data (23 GB of arc ac files) can be viewed after one mouse-click in flight simulator mode via Google Earth. This dataset
is also part of an easy-to-use dedicated portal for all Dutch coastal data.
- when: Wednesday March 13th, 14:00-18:00, drinks afterwards (NCK icebreaker).
- where: Vakantiepark Kijkduin / Parker Beachclub, for details and directions see NCK 2013 webpage
- Sign-up: Please register two ways:
- Via the official NCK registry http://www.nck-web.org/index.php/nck-days.html
- by sending an email to <gerben dot deboer at deltares dot nl>.
- !! Bring your own data and laptop !!