The most important lessons learned are:
- Take a joint approach involving all stakeholders, from initiator, consultant (technical) experts and contractor to permitting authority.
- Make sure the decision to include landscaping in the design is taken early in the process.
- Involve the contractor in the design process.
- Base the design on a mix of ecological, morphological and practical expertise and include this expertise in the design team.
- Clearly specify the aim of the landscaping on beforehand, keeping in mind that there will always be a certain degree of uncertainty because of natural variability.
- Make sure all stakeholders are continuously informed in a clear and transparent way (minutes of meetings, technical documentation, overall process guidelines, etc.); inform them on progress, new insights and ideas, etc. (permanent liaison).