Klik hier voor de Nederlandse versie.
Deltares has developed a Nitrate App for smartphones to enable citizens to measure and share water quality measurements. The project’s aim is to enable farmers to participate in the collection of nitrate measurements in order to establish the relationship between different agricultural practices and water quality. This requires a method that allows participating farmers to both collect measurements and share this information easily. We hope to achieve this by collecting water quality data by using test strips and sending the results via smartphone.
- Enable farmers and other citizens to measure and share water quality measurements
- Collect water quality data by using test strips and a smartphone
- Establish the relationship between different agricultural practices and water quality
- Search for hot spots and hot moments of nitrate losses in catchments
- Evaluate mitigation actions
Why use the Nitrate App?
- Test strips are easy to use
- Speed of measurements is relatively quick (30 sec)
- Measurement result is readily available
- Low cost (~EUR 0.50) per measurement
- Smartphones can read test strips objectively
- Results can be sent directly to a database and/or online platform
- Measurements can be viewed immediately and compared to the local context
- Limited accuracy of test strips (~30% especially at low concentrations, compared to ~10% for laboratory analyses)
Want more information? Contact Joachim Rozemeijer (Joachim.Rozemeijer@Deltares.nl) or Sheila Ball (Sheila.Ball@Deltares.nl). You can also download the information sheet about the Nitrate App, check out the getting started, results, tips & tricks or FAQs sections.