Date 14-20 june 2014 (saturday - friday)
Topic The preliminary title of this summerschool is "From data to decisions". We aim to cover the entire marine and coastal information cycle from data gathering via data management, data dissemination, data analysis, data assimilation to data-based policy decisions. A preliminary powerpoint of the entire summerschool is available as JERICO summerschool 2014 sketch.ppt.
Location The location is split between (i) holiday resort "Kijkduin" located near the beach south of the Hague, near the Sand engine coastal observatory and (ii) the Deltares offices in Delft, both in the Netherlands. The holiday resort site is within walking distance from the beach where the largest Dutch coastal observatory "Sand engine" is located, to which we will pay informal and work visits. The Deltares offices are a 30 min bus ride inland and offer lecture theaters for the lectures and excellent computational facilities for hands-on exercises.
Audience The target group is 30 early career scientists plus scientifically oriented early career marine spatial planners (MSP). Students are expected to arrange for their own funding for travel and lodging. To facilitate minimal participation barriers across disciplines and countries, students will be offered affordable lodging at YMCA pricing level for single rooms in European cities (~ 300 EUR for 7 nights) in the "Kijkduin" holiday resort, in bungalows shared by 3 students (separate rooms). The JERICO team is currently agreeing on selection criteria for participation, which will include a support letter from a senior scientist you work with, your CV and a letter explaining what you expect/want to learn from the JERICO community, and what specific expertise you can offer to the JERICO community.
Highlights treated for at least half a day:
- data gathering and instrumentation: incl. field trip to Dutch coastal observatory "Sand engine": HF Radar, Argus camera, jetski with DGPS+sonar
- data and information cycle, data use for EU policy purposes: MSFD and WISE marine, EMECO
- data management, quality, versioning, curation and cataloguing: OpenEarth, DOI citeability via DataCite (as in Pangea), Data Seal of Approval datacentre certification, INSPIRE and Google searching.
- (full day) data dissemination: EU portal landscape: EMODnet, EuroGOOS, EurOBIS, ICES, MyOcean, SeaDataNet
- (full day) data analysis: variational analysis with DIVA, and EOF analysis with DINEOF
- (full day) data assimilation: introduction to data assimilation with OpenDA
- big data: how to deal with data that extend the size of your local hard disk (> 2TB): OGC WPS, netCDF-CF-OPeNDAP,ESA G-POD
For more information or pre-registration please contact gerben dot deboer at deltares dot nl.