The Data Standards Training Course was developed in the framework of the EU FP7 Project MICORE and involves one day in which the participants are taken through a wide range of excercises. Although the schedule can be adapted to better match with the participants' specific needs and background knowledge the schedule of this course generally is as follows:
Table of contents
Data management in general
In the EU FP7 Project MICORE a data standard and archiving protocol was defined to provide end-users with a comprehensive standardised database. The protocol has become part of the Open Earth Initiative and is available freely. The same protocol will be adapated in the Building with nature programme. All aspects of this protocol will be dealt with in one day.
The data standard and archiving protocol provides a four step database guideline for OpenEarth users and developers to:
- Extract - Taking measurements and storing the measured data into files,
- Transform - Enriching gathered data with metadata and storing in a standard file format,
- Load - Storing the files in a database - actual syoring not dealt with in this course, and
- Provide - Giving access to the database.
Open Earth Initiative
- Explanation of the Open Earth Initiative (open source version of McTools/UCIT)
- Overview of Open Earth building blocks
- Working with subversion
- Excercise: getting all OpenEarhtTools to yout laptop from using subversion
- Excercise: Loading raw data into subversion from your laptop
Load and Provide
- Finding and selecting of data on OPeNDAP server.
- Reading NetCDF and OPeNDap