It will be useful to have Value as a property in the IExchangeItem which can be set, get. Currently the only way to get value is to call GetValues(ITime time, string linkID) from ILinkableComponent.
This issues was also addressed by Steven (HEC).
How to address in Version 1
How to address in Version 2
- It will be possible to get/set values directly from exchange items at runtime and not buffer them somewhere.
- Easier to debug, VS2005 debugger can be bound directly to properties
- Components may implement setters for input exchange items or only support getters
- Input exchange items may get values from connected output exchange items directly.
- User will not need time to get current value from exchange item (can be very useful for components not working with times)
For those components which need to work with time the following solution may be used: