The FP7 project JERICO will organize a 2nd summerschool.
Date 13-20 june 2014 (saturday - friday)
Topic The preliminary title of this summerschool is "From data to decisions". We aim to cover the entire marine and coastal information cycle from data gathering via data management, data dissemination, data analysis, data assimilation to data-based policy decisions. A preliminary powerpoint of the entire summerschool is available as JERICO summerschool 2014 sketch.ppt.
Location The location is split between (i) holiday resort "Kijkduin" located near the beach south of the Hague, near the Sand engine coastal observatory and (ii) the Deltares offices in Delft, both in the Netherlands. The holiday resort site is within walking distance from the beach where the largest Dutch coastal observatory "Sand engine" is located, to which we will pay informal and work visits. The Deltares offices are a 30 min bus ride inland and offer lecture theaters for the lectures and excellent computational facilities for hands-on exercises.
Audience The target group is 30 early career scientists plus scientifically oriented early career marine spatial planners (MSP). Students are expected to arrange for their own fucning for travel and lodging. To facilitate maximal participation across disciplines and countries, students will be offered affordable lodging (YMCA pricing level for single rooms in European cities ~ 300 EUR for 7 nights) in the "Kijkduin" holiday resort, in bungalows shared by 3 students (separate rooms). The JERICO team is currently agreeing on participation conditions, which will include a support letter from a senior scientist you work with, your CV, and a letter explaining what you can learn from the JERICO community, and what specific expertise you can offer to the community.
Topics dealt for at least half a day:
- data gathering and instrumentation: incl field trip to Sand Engine coastal observatory: HF Radar, Argus camera, jetski with DGPS+sonar
- data and information cycle, data use for EU policy purposes (MFSD)
- data management, quality and version control: OpenEarth, DOIs
- (full day) data dissemination: EU portal landscape: EMODnet, EuroGOOS, EurOBIS, ICES, MyOcean, SeaDataNet
- (full day) data analysis: variational analysis DIVA, and EOF analysis DINEOF
- (full day) data assimilation: OpenDA
- big data
For more information please follow this wiki, or contact gerben dot de boer at deltares dot nl.