Currently the FEWS JDBC server and the FewsPiService co-exist within the FEWS system. They are both hosted by an instance of a FEWS Operator Client. At present an Operator Client can host either an instance of the FEWS JDBC server or an instance of the FewsPiService. Not both at the same time.
What are the advantages of the JDBC server?
- simple access to Locations, Parameters and Timeseries
- predefined graphs
- simple timeseries statistics
- access to the Filter configuration
What are the disadvantages of the JDBC server ?
- read only
- can not run workflows
- hard to expand functionality
What are the advantages of the FewsPiServer?
- provides access to WarmStates, ModuleParameters and ModuleDataSets
- read and write options
- able to run workflows
- easy to expand functionality
What are the disadvantages of the FewsPiServer?
- no predefined graphs. Need to make your own
- complex configuration required (Note! currently work in progress to simplify configuration)
- no PiLocations.xml and PiParameters.xml (~containing timeseries parameters)